Josh is the founder of multiple companies, TEDx speaker, author of several books as well as 300+ articles in places like Time, Fortune, Techcrunch, Fast Company, and Inc. Today his main focus is The 7 Systems of Influence, a framework he developed that is used by parents, academics, politicians, entrepreneurs, and executives to create and maintain positive influence and change the world.
Subscribe to the Business and Life podcast, one of the best business podcasts for budding or seasoned entrepreneurs, female business owners, and everyone who needs just a little bit of entrepreneurial guide and inspiration.
(00:51)– Josh tells us something interesting about himself
- He is 44, married and grew up in Los Angeles California but is currently living in Boston
- Previously lived in Hong Kong and China and currently runs two businesses
- Enjoys researching influence and leadership
(1:23) – Josh explains how he got interested in influence and leadership
- In 2013 he had the opportunity to write for Forbes when his business was on the verge of bankruptcy
- A few years into writing with Forbes his business was generating millions
- He began researching how influence affects your business which is how he came up with the framework for The Seven Systems of Influence, the first three being:
- Genius zone
(4:00)- Josh shares about his company, Influencer Inc.
- They help people to become thought leaders and get their message out to the marketplace
- He wants to help people (who he believes are all inherently good) to take their skill and change the world for the better
(4:55) – Go to mikeolivas.com to schedule a call and change your life today!
(5:40) – Josh tells us about the demographic he works with in Influencer Inc.
- He generally tries to work with people that he knows, likes and trusts- not faceless corporations
- Entrepreneurs or business leaders who want to be the face of their company
(7:25) – Josh talks about rock bottom and how he overcame it
- In 2007 his business was suffering- he hadn’t paid himself in 4 years and was on the verge of bankruptcy
- He sought help from a friend who introduced him to a contact within Forbes and the rest is history
(9:00) – Why Josh believes that entrepreneurs give up
- It’s hard.
- It doesn’t happen overnight but we only see the big success stories, not the struggles that came before the success
- It took him 20yrs to get to where he is now
(12:15) Do you have goals for your business? Visit mikeolivas.com to discuss your goals for FREE!
(12:45)- Josh tells us what he is excited about right now
- The impact on people- he is working directly with people and focusing on one-on-one relationships instead of scaling his business
(15:30) – How Josh created a life he wanted to live
- He used to work 100 hour weeks and realized he was not only killing his body but his company- so one day he changed everything and his life and business started to succeed better than ever before.
(18:00) Parting advice for listeners
- The most important thing is love and wanting to help and serve people
- If everything is transactional it will suck the life out of you and can ruin your business, focus on caring for people first and foremost.
Learn more about Josh: